Friday, February 4, 2011

Interests

I wish I had a few interests I was really passionate about, rather than an abundance of interests on varying subjects.

Here's an example: Some people really like singing, so what do they do? They devote hours and hours to practicing singing, trying to make themselves better. They'll spend time listening to and studying different singing styles and techniques. They might invest in singing lessons.

Or say, a runner. They spend hours training. Speed workouts. Endurance workouts. Strength workouts. They weight lift. They eat right. And it pays off.

How about someone who enjoys politics? They spend their free time reading articles, staying up to date on the latest news. They keep their television constantly tuned to Fox News, CNN, or MSNBC. Or they avoid those major networks, seeking news without opinions.

You get what I'm saying.

The problem with me is that I find all of these things interesting along with countless others. I find almost everything interesting. Wikipedia is my best friend. I read articles on linguistics, comedy, psychology, music, athletics, people, history, just about anything.

It ends with me being a little knowledgeable on a lot, but not a lot on really anything. And maybe it's not that that bothers me so much. Of course I love being smart, but even more than that I want a passion.

Yes I am passionate about my faith in Jesus Christ and passionate about growing in my relationship with him. I'm not trying to play down the importance of being a Christian. That is the single most important thing in my life.

It's just that I wish I had a passion that I could use as a platform to profess my love of Jesus through. I feel that I could reach more people who might come to know Christ. 

But that's probably the wrong attitude. I need to trust God and his plan for me. I should be showing the love of God everywhere I am, in whatever situation. If I don't share Christ at school amongst peers, who's to say I would to a much wider or more specific audience.

I'm not sure if I tied that all together perfectly. I didn't even plan initially to take this where it ended up. It wasn't until I said that I want a passion that it hit me that Christ is supposed to be my passion. I couldn't make a claim like that without shifting the whole focus to Jesus. It wouldn't be right.

I guess my deciding to write this post was good idea. Or, perhaps God's idea?


No comments:

Post a Comment